Erected September 12, 1905, and formed from the prefecture Apostolic of the same name organized May 29, 1882
Gulf of St. Lawrence, Vicariate Apostolic of, erected September 12, 1905, and formed from the prefecture Apostolic of the same name organized May 29, 1882. It comprises the northeastern part of the Province of Quebec, east of the Diocese of Chicoutimi, and is a suffragan of Quebec. All the missions of this vicariate have been entrusted to the care of the Eudist Fathers, except the Montagnais Indian stations and other missions for the Naskapi and Eskimo, which are attended by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The first vicar Apostolic was the Reverend Gustave Blanch, C. J. M., who was born April 30, 1849, at Josselin, Diocese of Vannes, France, and ordained priest March 16, 1878. He was appointed Titular Bishop of Sicca and Vicar Apostolic of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, September 12, 1905, and consecrated in the cathedral of Chicoutimi, October 28, 1905. He fixed his residence at Seven Islands, Saguenay County, Quebec. There is a Catholic population of 9,650 (including 2,000 Indians) in the vicariate, attended by 20 priests, who care for 12 missions with residences, 28 other stations, 19 chapels, and 19 oratories. The Sisters of the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus teach in 28 schools having 950 pupils (380 boys; 570 girls).
THOMAS F. MEEHAN