A religious institute of women founded by the Viscountess de Bonnault d'Houet in 1820 at Amiens, France. It was solemnly approved by Gregory XVI, Aug. 5, 1837
Faithful Companions of Jesus, SOCIETY OF the, a religious institute of women founded by the Viscountess de Bonnault d'Houet in 1820 at Amiens, France. It was solemnly approved by Gregory XVI, August 5, 1837.
The Faithful Companions of Jesus are devoted to the education of all classes, adapting themselves to the special educational needs of each country. In 1903 the society possessed forty-one convents in France, Italy, Switzerland, England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Canada, and the United States. The religious persecution in France, with the consequent closing of the French houses, has been the cause of new foundations in Belgium (at Brussels, Graty, and Namur), also in the Isle of Guernsey, and at Fribourg, Switzerland. The society is governed by a superior general who, up to the time of the religious persecution in France, resided at the motherhouse in Paris; the home of the superior general is at present in Namur, Belgium. The society numbers about 1200 religious, who in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia conduct about 60 grammar and high schools, technical schools, science and art schools. The new training college for teachers at Sedgley, near Manchester, England, has met with great success. In the United States the sisters have charge of about one thousand children attending St. Joseph's parochial school at Fitchburg, Mass. They also have an academy where high school branches are taught. A small foundation has recently been made at Gilbertville, Mass. In the United States there are 46 sisters, 4 novices, 2 schools, and 1 high school. The society now possesses thirty-two convents. The novitiates are at Namur, Belgium, Upton Hall, near Liverpool, England, Limerick, Ireland, and Fitchburg, Mass.
SISTER MARY PHILOMENA