French missionary, founder of the Eudists and the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity; author of the liturgical worship of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary; b. at Ri, France, Nov. 14, 1601; d. at Caen, Aug. 19, 1680
Eudes, JEAN, BLESSED, French missionary and founder of the Eudists and of the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity; author of the liturgical worship of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary; b. at Ri, France, November 14, 1601; d. at Caen, August 19, 1680. He was a brother of the French historian, Francois Eudes de Mezeray. At the age of fourteen he took a vow of chastity. After brilliant studies with the Jesuits at Caen, he entered the Oratory, March 25, 1623. His masters and models in the spiritual life were Fathers de Berulle and de Condren. He was ordained priest December 20, 1625, and began his sacerdotal life with heroic labors for the victims of the plague, then ravaging the country. As a missionary, Father Eudes became famous. Since the time of St. Vincent Ferrer, France had probably not seen a greater. He was called by Olier "the prodigy of his age". In 1641 he founded the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge, to provide a refuge for women of ill-fame who wished to do penance. The society was approved by Alexander VII, January 2, 1666. With the approbation of Cardinal de Richelieu and a great number of others, Father Eudes severed his connection with the Oratory to establish the Society of Jesus and Mary for the education of priests and for missionary work. This congregation was founded at Caen, March 25, 1643, and was considered a most important and urgent work (see Eudists).
Father Eudes, during his long life, preached not less than one hundred and ten missions, three at Paris, one at Versailles, one at St-Germain-en-Laye, and the others in different parts of France. Normandy was the principal theatre of his apostolic labors. In 1674 he obtained from Clement X six Bulls of indulgences for the Confraternities of the Sacred Heart already erected or to be erected in the seminaries. He also established the Society of the Heart of the Mother Most Admirable—which resembles the Third Orders of St. Francis and St. Dominic. This society now numbers from 20,000 to 25,000 members. Father Eudes dedicated the seminary chapels of Caen and Coutances to the Sacred Hearts. The feast of the Holy Heart of Mary was celebrated for the first time in 1648, and that of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1672, each as a double of the first class with an octave. The Mass and Office proper to these were composed by Father Eudes, who thus had the honor of preceding the Blessed Margaret Mary in establishing the devotion to the Sacred Hearts. For this reason, Pope Leo XIII, in proclaiming his virtues heroic in 1903, gave him the title of "Author of the Liturgical Worship of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Holy Heart of Mary". Father Eudes wrote a number of books remarkable for elevation of doctrine and simplicity of style. His principal works are:—"Le Royaume de Jesus"; "Le contrat de l'homme avec Dieu par le Saint Bapteme"; "Le Memorial de la vie Ecclesiastique"; "Le Bon Confesseur"; "Le Predicateur Apostolique"; "Le Coeur Admirable de la Tres Sainte Mere de Dieu". This last is the first book ever written on the devotion to the Sacred Hearts. His virtues were declared heroic by Leo XIII, January 6, 1903. The miracles proposed for his beatification were approved by Pius X, May 3, 1908, and he was beatified April 25, 1909.