Diocese in Mexico
Huajuipam de Leon, Diocese of (HUAJUAPATAMENSIS), in the State of Oaxaca, Mexico, erected by Bull of Leo XIII, "Sedes Apostolica" of April 25, 1902, from parts of the Archdioceseof Oaxaca and the former Dio-cese (now Archdiocese) of Puebla de los Angeles. The Bull was forwarded on March 17, 1903, and Dr. Prospero Maria Alarcon, Archbishop of Mexico, delegated as executor of the Bull, In turn appointed Dr. Francisco Plancarte y Navarrete, Bishop of Cuernavaca, as subdelegate. The canonical erection of the new diocese took place on May 12,1903, Dr. Rafael Amador having been named bishop on March 8. Bishop Amador was born at Chila, February 4, 1856, and studied at Puebla and in the South American Colegio Pio, Rome, where he took the degree of Doctor of Theology. He held various offices in the seminary at Puebla, was pastor and dean (vicario foraneo), and was consecrated bishop, June 29, 1903, in the cathedral of Oaxaca by the archbishop of that see. At first the diocese was under the immediate jurisdiction of the Holy See, under the title of Mixtecastaken from the territory of that name, embraced within its limits. When by Bull of Pius X, "Priedecessoris Nostri" of August 9, 1903, the Diocese of Puebla de los Angeles was raised to the rank of an archdiocese, the Diocese of Mixtecas was assigned to it as suffragan, andby decree of the "Congregatio Concilii" of November 28of the same year, the diocese was given the name of the residential seat, Huajui pam de Leon, in place of Mixtecas. On November 4, 1905, the new bishop erected the cathedral chapter, consisting of one dignitary (arcediano), a personatus (lectoral), three canons, and four chaplains; the first diocesan synod was held in December, 1906, for the enactment of synodal statutes.
According to information given by the bishop's secretary, dated September 10, 1909, the diocese contains a Catholic population of about 200,000, 36 parishes, 220 churches with about 20 mission chapels, 57 secular and 3 regular priests (2 Dominicans and 1 Carmelite). The episcopal seminary has an attendance of 60, about equally divided between interns and externs; 12 are ready for ordination. In the city of Huajudpam are two communities of Carmelite Sisters numbering 11, one in charge of a hospital, the other occupied with the work of teaching.