In Hungary, suffragan of Agram
Zengg-Modrus, Diocese of (SEGNIENSIS ET MODRUSIENSIS SEU CORBAVIENSIS), in Hungary, suffragan of Agram. The year of its foundation is not known. Miraeus, about 1150-1160, was the first bishop. The See of Modrus was established at Corbavia (Krbava) 1185. Pius II moved the former see from Corbavia to Modrus, as it suffered from the advance of the Turks. From that time it was known as the See of Modrus. Urban VIII united the See of Zengg with that of Modrus. Gregory XVI in 1836 confirmed this union "per aequalitatem". Until 1600 the see was suffragan of Spalato, later of Gran, then of Kalocsa; since 1852 it is suffragan of Agram. The diocese consists of Fiume, of some parts of the "Komitat" of Agram, and of the Military Frontier. It is divided into 5 archdeaneries and 15 vice-archdeaneries, and 137 parishes. The language at Mass and during the services was ancient Slavic, by reason of a papal privilege. There are two chapters which belong to Zengg and to Modrus, and one collegiate chapter at Fiume. The seminary is situated at Zengg; it was established by Bishop Osegovich in 1857. Tersato, a place of pilgrimage, is situated in the neighborhood of Fiume.