In the island of Sicily
Aci-Reale (JACA REGALIS), the Diocese of, in the island of Sicily, includes fourteen communes in the civil province of Catania, immediately subject to Rome. It was created by Gregory XVI, in 1844, though no bishop was appointed until 1872. The episcopal city is picturesquely situated at the foot of Mt. Etna, amid rich gardens of oranges and almonds. There are 18 parishes, 305 churches, 330 secular priests, 70 regulars, and 150,219 inhabitants. Its first bishop was Monsignor Gerlando Maria Genuardi, of the Oratory.