Catholic Answers

Search Articles


Navigation

Search Scans
Scans by volume
Random Article
Login - advanced access

Collections

1,001 Saints
List of Popes
Art Gallery
Map Room
RSS Feeds RSS

Curricula

Apologetics
Art
Catechetics
Christology
Church Hierarchy
Church History - to 1517 A.D.
Education
Ethics
Hagiography - saints
Homiletics - sermons
Mariology - on Mary
Patrology
Philosophy
Religious Orders
Sacred Scripture
Science

Front Matter — Vol I

Title Page
Copyright & Imprimatur
To the Knights of Columbus
Preface
Contributors
Tables of Abbreviations

Site Status

Articles:11,552
Images:42,348
Links:183,872
Updated:  Aug 12, 2013
prev: Zapoteca Indians Zapoteca Indians Zarai next: Zarai

Archdiocese of Zara

In Dalmatia

High Resolution Scan ———————————

Login or register to access high resolution scans and other advanced features.

Registration is Free!

Errata* for Archdiocese of Zara:
———————————

Login or register to access the errata and other advanced features.

Registration is Free!


————
* Published by Encyclopedia Press, 1913.

Zara (JADERA), Archdiocese of, in Dalmatia. Zara has been a diocese since A.D. 381 and since 1146 an archdiocese. Its succession of bishops numbers eighty without noteworthy interruption. Bishop Sabinianus is mentioned in the "Register" of Gregory the Great. In one of his letters John VIII names St. Donatus as patron of Jadera. Archaeologists find in Zara many traces of ecclesiastical sculpture with German characteristics dating from the migration of the German tribes. The Church of St. Donatus is the most important structure of its period preserved in Dalmatia. The massive dome of the rotunda is surrounded by a vaulted gallery in two stories which also extends around the three apses to the east. Zara was the capital of Byzantine Dalmatia, but the fact that an example of Carlovingian architecture is found there shows that Zara must once have belonged to the Franks and explains the visit of Bishop Donatus to Charlemagne in Dietenhofen. Since Zara belonged to Venice the bishops of Grado have exercised patriarchal jurisdiction over it. In 1276 Patriarch Aegidius summoned Archbishop John with his suffragans to the Council of Grado where they were, however, represented by deputies. Archbishop Nikolaus III of Zara was present at the synod convened by Cardinal Guido of St. Cecilia at Padua in 1350. Twenty constitutions were published, chiefly against the evil life of the clergy and the power of the laity as used against the clergy and church property. Worthy of high respect was Aegidius of Viterbo who governed the archdiocese for two years. In the first session of the Fifth Lateran Council he says: "Homines per sacra immutari fas est non sacra per homines" (Man must be changed by what is holy, not what is holy by man). He had also the courage to address the following words to the warlike Julius II, who sought to increase the possessions of the Church. "That the states of the Church number a few thousands of inhabitants more or less, matters not, but it does matter greatly that its members be pious and virtuous. The Church knows no weapons other than faith, virtue, and prayer". Archbishop Godeassi attended the Synod of Vienna in 1849. Peter Alexander Maupas was present at the Vatican Council. The Archdiocese of Zara has: 86,000 Catholics, 150 secular priests, 5 religious houses for men with 20 inmates, 4 religious houses for women with 23 inmates.

COLESTIN WOLFSGRUBER


discuss this article | send to a friend

Discussion on 'Archdiocese of Zara'











prev: Zapoteca Indians Zapoteca Indians Zarai next: Zarai

Report translation problem

*Description: Copy and paste the phrase with the problem or describe how the trascription can be fixed.
  * denotes required field
Severity:

Featured

Art Gallery
Art Gallery

Catholic Q & A


Popular Subjects
Top 20 Questions

Ask A Faith Question

Quotable Catholics RSS

"To become a hostage in the hands of the infidels, if that is necessary for the deliverance of Christ's faithful."
-- The fourth vow of the Order of Our Lady of Ransom (Mercedarians), founded in the thirteenth century by St. Peter Nolasco, which rescued some half-million slaves between the years 1218 and 1632.

Donations

Latest OCE Discussion



Your usage constitutes agreement with User License :: Permissions :: Copyright © 2014, Catholic Answers.
Site last updated Aug 12, 2013